WBCS Syllabus 2020
WBCS Syllabus 2020 - Public Service Commission of West Bengal has released an official notification for West Bengal Civil Service (Exe) etc. Examination, 2020. WB PCS exam 2020 is conducted to fill the post of state civil services. Any graduate from a recognized university is eligible to appear for the examination. Group A, B, C, and D positions will be filled by the same examination. Students applying for Group A and B have to write the additional optional paper in the main stage of examination.
WBCS Exam Pattern 2020
The examination consists of two parts:
(1) Written Examination
(2) Personality Test
Written Examination will be held in two successive stages:
(i) Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
(ii) Main Examination (Both Objective and Conventional Type).
WBCS Syllabus 2020 - Preliminary Examination
- Questions on English Composition will cover Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms and Phrases, Vocabulary test, Phrasal Verbs, the same words bearing more than one meaning, use of appropriate and qualifying words, etc.
- Questions on General Science will cover general appreciation and understanding of science, including matters of everyday observation and experience as may be expected of a well-educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific discipline.
- Questions on Current affairs will cover current events of national and international importance.
- In History, emphasis will be on the broad general understanding of the subject in its social, economic and political aspects.
- Questions on the Geography of India will relate to Physical, Social and Economic Geography of the country, including the main features of Indian Agricultural and Natural Resources with special reference to West Bengal.
- Questions of Indian Polity and Economy will test the knowledge of the country's Political System, Panchayati Raj, Community Development and Planning in India.
- Questions on the Indian National Movement will relate to the nature and character of the Nineteenth Century Resurgence, Growth of Nationalism and attainment of Independence.
- General Mental Ability will relate to Logical perception, understanding, and natural conclusion.
WBCS Syllabus 2020 - Mains Examination
Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Pr cis Writing, Composition and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali.
Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Pr cis Writing, Composition and Translation from Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali to English.
(i) Indian History with special emphasis on the National Movement.
(ii) Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal.
Science and Scientific & Technological advancement, Environment, General Knowledge and Current Affairs. (The Topic Environment in paper General Studies II will include the following:- Biodiversity and Coastal Regulation Zone, Global Warming, Industrial and Environmental Pollution, Ozone Layer and related issues.)
Indian Polity and Economy
The Constitution of India and the Indian Economy including the role and functions of the Reserve Bank of India. (The Topic Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India of the 5th compulsory paper will consist of the following:- Central State relation and devolution of central funds to state, Planning process, and objectives of five years plan, Functions of RBI and Monetary policy, Central Finance Commission & State Finance Commission and Fiscal Policy of Government of India.)
Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning:
The standard of Arithmetic part of Compulsory Paper VI (Arithmetic & Test of Reasoning) will be similar to that of the Compulsory Mathematics paper at the Madhyamik Examination of the Board of Secondary Education, West Bengal. Test of Reasoning will cover Analytical Reasoning
Data Sufficiency, Logical Reasoning:
(i) Logical Deduction
(ii) The forcefulness of the Arguments
(iii) Implication of sentences
(iv) Inferring from diagrams
(a) Letter series
(b) Number series, Inferring from Data, Analogy tests, Symbol Interpretation, Mathematical puzzles, Odd man out, Perception test, Non-verbal reasoning & Selecting the correct sequence.
Note - Out of six compulsory papers four papers i.e. (i) General Studies- I, (ii) General Studies- II, (iii) The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India and (iv) Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning will be of MCQ Type to be answered in OMR answer sheets. Remaining two compulsory papers i.e. Paper - I and Paper - II will be of conventional type.
The optional Subject consists of two papers (Only applicable to Group A & B candidates). The candidates have to select one optional subject that can be selected from the list of 37 subjects.
List of Optional Subject
|Hindi||Santali||Commerce and Accountancy|
|Statistics||Comparative Literature||Computer Science|
|English||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science||Anthropology|
The candidates selected in order of merit on the results of the Main Examination for all the services and posts included in Groups A, B, C and D will have to appear for a Personality Test. Each candidate will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the test will be to assess the candidate's personal qualities e.g., alertness of mind, the power of clear and logical exposition, intellectual and moral integrity, leadership and also the candidate's range of interests.