UPSC Kannada Syllabus for IAS Exam 2020
UPSC Kannada Syllabus 2020: In IAS Mains exam, candidates have to choose one optional subject mandatorily. There are a total of 26 optional subjects among which one is Kannada Literature. As per the trends of the past few years, literature subjects have been more prominent for securing more marks. The subject has two papers i.e. Paper 1 and 2. The total marks for both the papers are 500.
The exam authority has released UPSC IAS Syllabus in its official notification. In this article, we have curated the details of UPSC Kannada Syllabus.
UPSC Kannada Syllabus - Paper I
A. History of Kannada Language
What is Language? General characteristics of Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features, Antiquity of Kannada Language, Different Phases of its Development. Dialects of Kannada Language: Regional and Social Various aspects of the development of Kannada Language: phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
B. History of Kannada Literature Ancient Kannada literature:
Influence and Trends. Poets for study: Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form, and expression: Pampa, Janna, Nagachandra.
Medieval Kannada literature: Influence and Trends.
Vachana literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
Medieval Poets : Harihara, Raghavanka, Kumar-Vyasa.
Dasa literature: Purandra and Kanaka.
C. Modern Kannada literature:
Influence, trends and ideologies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and Bandaya.
A. Poetics and Literary Criticism:
Definition and concepts of poetry: Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra. Modern Trends of literary criticism: Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
B. Cultural History of Karnataka Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka:
Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in a literary context.
Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contributions.
Arts of Karnataka: Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance-in the literary context.
Unification of Karnataka and its impact on Kannada literature.
UPSC Kannada Syllabus - Paper II
The paper will require first-hand reading of the Texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability of the candidates.
A. Old Kannada Literature
1. Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
2. Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
B. Medieval Kannada Literature:
1. Vachana Kammata, Ed: K. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
2. Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture Directorate, Bangalore)
3. Nambiyannana Ragale, Ed., T.N. Sreekantaiah (Ta.Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore)
4. Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
5. Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed. Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
A. Modern Kannada Literature
1. Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed : G.H. Nayak (Kannada Saahitya Parishattu, Bangalore)
2. Novel : Bettada Jeeva-Shivarama Karanta Madhavi-Arupama Niranjana Odalaala-Devanuru Mahadeva
3. Short Story : Kannada Sanna Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
4. Drama : Shudra Tapaswi-Kuvempu. Tughlak-Girish Karnad.
5. Vichara Saahitya : Devaru-A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub : D.V.K. Moorty, Mysore.)
B. Folk Literature :
1. Janapada Swaroopa-Dr. H.M. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
2. Janapada Geetaanjali-Ed.D. Javare Gowda. (Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.)
3. Kannada Janapada Kathegalu-Ed. J.S. Paramashivaiah, (Mysore University.)
4. Beedi Makkalu Beledo. Ed. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University.)
5. Savirada Ogatugalu-Ed : S.G. Imrapura.
UPSC Optional Subject Syllabus
UPSC Literature Optional Syllabus
UPSC General Studies Syllabus