UPSC Prelims 2019 Expected Cut off Updated! Cut off will be low!
UPSC Prelims 2019 exam was held on June 2, 2019. Again this year, the GS Paper 1 was on the tougher side, where most of the questions were factual. Most of the Polity, Environment, Ancient and Medival History questions were difficult to answer. Also Check UPSC Prelims Answer Key 2019 with Score Calculator here .
Due to difficulty level of the question paper cut off will be on lower side as similar to last year.
Here is our cut off prediction for UPSC Prelims 2019.
Expected Cut off Marks for UPSC Prelims 2019
|Category||Expected Cut off Marks|
|General||97 ± 2|
|OBC||95 ± 2|
|SC||85 ± 2|
|ST||83 ± 2|
Download UPSC Prelims Answer Key 2019 (All Sets)
|Paper and Set||Answer Key Download Link|
|UPSC Prelims GS Paper 1 - SET A||Download here|
|UPSC Prelims GS Paper 1 - SET B||Download here|
|UPSC Prelims GS Paper 1 - SET C||Download here|
|UPSC Prelims GS Paper 1 - SET D||Download here|
Check UPSC Prelims Answer Key 2019 with Score Calculator (Compare NeoStencil, IASBaba and InsightsonIndia)
UPSC 2018 Official Cut off marksUPSC announced Civil Services Exam 2018 Cut-off on April 8, 2019. Prelims cut-off for this year was lowest in the last 4 years (GEN 98, OBC 96.66, SC 84, ST 83.34), owing to the difficulty level of Prelims question paper.
UPSC Mains cut off marks for general is 774 and the final cut off of the last recommended candidate in general category is 982. For category-wise detailed cut-off, read below.
UPSC 2018 Cut Off Marks Details
UPSC 2017 Cut Off
The cut-off score for UPSC exam is the lowest score that candidates must obtain to qualify the different stages of Civil Services Examination Preliminary, Mains and Interview . Only those candidates who are declared by the UPSC to have qualified the Preliminary examination in the year will be eligible for the Mains examination. UPSC declared the list of candidates who have qualified for UPSC Civil Services 2017 Mains examination based on the criteria of the minimum cut off marks, which is 33% in General Studies Paper II of Civil Services (Preliminary) examination.
"Glad we could help our UPSC aspirants crack CSE-2017"
Let us guide you too in your UPSC Preparation Journey
If interested, you can find the UPSC 2017 final results here .
UPSC 2017 Cut off Marks - Influencing Factors
Civil Services Cut Off marks decided by UPSC are based on various factors, some are listed below:
- Total Number of Vacancies.
- Total Number of Candidates Participating in Each Stage.
- Level of Difficulty of Questions.
- Marking Scheme.
- Reservation Norms.
- Last Year cut off Trends.
UPSC Cut off Marks of IAS Prelims Exam
UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination is the first step of the selection process for various Civil Services. UPSC Preliminary Examination of Civil Services consists of two compulsory papers, namely General Studies Paper-I (GS Paper I) and General Studies Paper-II (GS Paper II) which is often referred as Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT).
- General Studies Paper I is of qualifying nature for Mains Written Exam. The marks obtained in this paper are considered for shortlisting to the Mains Exam. UPSC decides cut off marks for this paper.
- In General Studies Paper II , candidates need to secure the minimum qualifying marks which are 66, i.e., 33% of 200 marks . Cut off marks are not applicable to this paper.
- Thus for shortlisting candidates to UPSC Civil Services Mains written examination, UPSC considers marks obtained by the candidates in GS Paper I and qualifying marks in GS Paper II.
Each year on an average, based on the Civil Services Prelim cut off marks decided by UPSC, the number of candidates to be shortlisted for UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination is around 12 to 13 times the total number of vacancies to be filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam.
UPSC Civil Services Prelims Cut off marks
In 2017 UPSC Prelims exam to crack the phase 1 General category candidates should have secured 105.34 marks (i.e. around 52%) to appear for the UPSC Mains exams. Whereas for OBC candidates the cut off marks was 102.66 marks (i.e. around 51%). For category wise cut off marks check the table provided below.
|Category||2018 Cut off||2017 Cut off||2016 Cut off||2015 Cut off||2014 Cut off *|
* Note - Till 2014, UPSC Prelims Cut off was calculated based on scores of both Paper 1 and Paper 2. This was changed after 2015 when Paper 2 was made qualifying in nature and cut off was based only on the score in Paper 1.
UPSC Cut off Marks for IAS Mains Exam
UPSC Mains written examination is the second step of UPSC Civil Services Selection process. UPSC Mains Examination consists of nine papers of conventional essay type, out of which two are qualifying papers (Paper A - Indian Language, Paper B - English), each of 300 marks and seven other papers (Paper I to Paper VII) are compulsory which are of 250 marks each and are counted for merit.
- Only candidates who secure cut off marks (as decided by UPSC) in Civil Services Prelim Exam are allowed to attend Paper A and Paper B of Mains written examination.
- Candidates need to obtain at least 25% marks in qualifying papers (Paper A and Paper B) as a cut off to appear in the next 7 papers of UPSC Civil Services Mains examination.
- Cut off of UPSC Civil Services Mains written exam is calculated on the basis of minimum 10% marks in each of the competitive papers i.e., Essay paper, GS-I, GS-II, GS-III, GS-IV, Optional paper-I and Optional paper-II.
Each year on an average, based on the Civil Services Mains Written Exam cut off marks decided by UPSC, the number of candidates shortlisted for the Interview stage is twice the total number of vacancies to be filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam.
UPSC Civil Services Mains Cut off Marks
In 2017 UPSC Mains exam to crack the phase 2, General category candidates should have secured 809 marks (i.e. around 46%) to get an IAS interview call. Whereas for OBC candidates the cut off marks was 770 marks (i.e. 44%). For category wise UPSC Mains cut off marks check the table provided below.
|Category||2018 Cut off||2017 Cut off||2016 Cut off||2015 Cut off||2014 Cut off|
UPSC Cut off of IAS Interview
The Interview or personality tests for UPSC Civil Services is conducted for a total of 275 marks . There is no minimum qualifying marks or cut off for UPSC Civil Services Interview.
UPSC Cut off for Final Ranking
UPSC releases Final cut off marks for various civil services posts after completion of Interview. This Civil Services Final cut off is based on UPSC Civil Service Examination Mains - Written Exam (7 Compulsory Papers) marks and Interview marks secured by the candidates who cleared the examination in the last attempt. UPSC releases All India Rank (AIR) of candidates, which is an aggregate of the marks obtained in all 7 Compulsory Papers of Mains written exam and Interview.
- Total marks of UPSC Mains Written Exam considered for Final Ranking = 7 compulsory papers (Paper I to Paper VII) x 250 marks = 1,750 marks.
- Total marks for Final Ranking = Marks of 7 compulsory papers in Mains Written Exam (out of 1,750 marks) + Interview marks (out of 275 marks)
Candidates who secure cut off marks for Final Ranking are allotted to the various civil services like IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS, etc., keeping in view their All India Rank in the UPSC exam and preferences expressed by them for the various services and posts.
UPSC Civil Services cut off marks for Final Ranking of last 4 years is provided:
UPSC Civil Services Exam Final Cut off Marks
In 2017 UPSC exam to crack the exam, General category candidates should have secured 1006 marks (i.e. around 49%) to get into the elite IAS/IPS/IRS services. Whereas for OBC candidates the cut off marks was 968 marks (i.e. 47%). For category wise UPSC Final cut off marks check the table provided below.
|General Cut off||OBC Cut off||SC Cut off||ST Cut off||PH1 Cut off||PH2 Cut off||PH3 Cut off|
UPSC Answer Key
UPSC Civil Services Answer Key 2019 will be available separately for each paper. Candidates can cross-check correct options with the help of UPSC Civil Services 2019 Answer Key and analyze their answers as marked during the examination. UPSC will release the official answer key of UPSC 2019 after the final result announcement. UPSC will be conducting UPSC Civil Services Mains examination on September 20, 2019.
Instructions to download UPSC Prelims Answer Key 2019
Candidates can check how to download UPSC Prelims 2019 Answer Key using the following procedure:
- The Answer Key for each set of UPSC Civil Services question booklet is provided.
- Click on the link for UPSC Answer Key 2019 for your set i.e. the subjects were chosen by the candidate.
- A '.pdf' file will open up mentioning correct options for each question.
- Candidates are advised to download the UPSC 2018 Answer Key for their set for future references.
How to calculate scores for UPSC Civil Services Prelims 2019?
Candidates can calculate their scores with the help of UPSC IAS Answer Key 2019 as mentioned below:
- Marks scored by candidates in Prelims Paper I and II = total number of correct responses*marks allotted to each question- total number of wrong responses*marks deducted for each wrong answer
- For Paper I = correct responses out of 100*2 marks 0.66 marks for each incorrect answer
- For Paper II = correct responses out of 80*2.5 marks 0.85 marks for each incorrect answer
- Total Marks of Prelims exam = Paper I score + Paper II score
Using the Answer Keys, the candidates can determine their score in the examination. The previous year cut offs give an insight into the marking system of the UPSC and help the candidates prepare well accordingly.
Expected UPSC Prelims Cut off 2019
The answer key of UPSC Prelims can be checked here.
Based on NeoStencil's analysis and past five-year trends, the paper this time was on a tougher side. The cut off is expected to come down for this year.
Prediction of Cut off for 2018 Prelims exam
Below is the predicted cut-off marks for the 2018 Prelims exam.
|Paper||General Cut off||OBC Cut off||SC Cut off||ST Cut off|
|Paper I||94 ± 3||91 ± 3||79 ± 3||77 ± 3|
|Paper II (Qualifying Only - 33% Marks)|
Important dates for UPSC Civil Services Prelims 2019
|Notification||February 19, 2019|
|Application Form starts||February 19, 2019|
|Application Ends||March 18, 2019|
|Admit Card||May, 2019|
|Prelims Exam||June 2, 2019|
|Result||Mid July 2019|
|Cutoff||After the final result of UPSC CS 2019 (May 2020 tentatively)|
|Answer key||After the final result of UPSC CS 2018 (May 2020 tentatively)|
Important Links related to UPSC Exam