SSC CGL Exam Pattern
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is a government organization that takes care of the recruitment process for various Ministries and Departments of the Government of India. SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination (SSC CGL) is an open competitive examination conducted to recruit candidates for Grade-B and C in various government departments, organizations, and Ministries.
SSC CGL: 4 phase selection process
In 2016, the SSC made a drastic change in the recruitment process of CGL examination. The interview process was detached and they introduced tier 3 as a descriptive paper and tier 4 as DEST/CPT.
- Tier I Preliminary written examination with objective and multiple-choice questions
- Tier II- Main written examination with objective and multiple-choice questions
- Tier III Descriptive Test includes essay, passage, application and letter writing
- Tier IV Computer proficiency test, skill test, and document verification
The official announcement from Staff selection commission states that SSC CGL selection process does not have an interview from 1st Jan 2016.
SSC CGL Notification
Candidates appearing for SSC CGL examinations must be aware of the recruitment process including the online application dates, exam dates, category codes, posts offered, number of vacancies and other information. Aspiring CGL candidates should make a note of the important dates such as examination dates, online application opening and closing date and admission card releasing date.
Know about SSC CGL online application
Every candidate who aspires to get a government job through SSC CGL should be aware of the notifications related to the online application. The candidates must fill SSC CGL application form in order to appear for the examination. While filling the application form, you need to read the guidelines given by Staff Selection Commission.
Important SSC CGL Exam Dates
The initial notifications about SSC CGL 2017 were released on 16th May 2017. The last date to submit the online application for SSC CGL 2017 is 19th June 2017. The tier I examination is scheduled from 5th to 23rd August while the tier II exam is scheduled from 10th November to 11th November 2017. Tier III exams will be scheduled on 21st January 2018 and the skill test will be conducted in February 2018. The age limit for the post of statistical investigator Grade II is Maximum 32 years, Assistant in CSS is 20-30 years, Assistant in IB is 21-30 years, Assistant Enforcement officer/SI in CBI/ SI in NIA is 30 years and SI in Central Bureau of Narcotics is 18-27 years.
SSC will release the answer key on September 18, 2017. The candidates can verify the questions and answers with the help of CGL answer key. Candidates are allowed to raise an objection in necessary cases. Subject matter expertise is available to answer the questions of the customers.The results of the exam would be declared on October31, 2017.
Key highlights of Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level Examinations (SSC CGL)
- Staff Selection Commission has made major changes in the SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2017
- The timing of Tier I exams have been reduced from 75 minutes to 60 minutes
- The SSC has added new exam cities that includes Vijayawada (Andra Pradesh), Nizamabad (Telangana), Warangal (Telangana), Ahmednagar and Alibaug (Maharastra), Berhampore (Odisha) and Bharatpur (Rajasthan).
- The commission did not mention the post of compiler in this notification.
- The postcode B for Assistant managers in Central Vigilance commission is not marked in this year s notification.
SSC CGL Exam pattern 2017
After getting awareness about the examination dates and the online application dates, it is necessary for the candidates to know the syllabus. The candidates should know about every subject and the type of questions that will be asked in the examination. For good preparation, it is necessary to know the important topics and the complete syllabus.
The exam pattern provides details related to the question paper pattern, number of questions per sections, total marks, sectional weightage, marking scheme and more. They conduct Tier I and Tier II and Tier III in online mode. Tier III will be conducted in paper and pen mode.
To give you a great start, it is important to understand the exam SSC CGL Exam Pattern. In 2017, the committee has made some major changes in the Exam pattern and has excluded the interview process. You must know every single detail of the New SSC CGL Exam 2017 to get an edge.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier IDuration: 75 Minutes Negative Marks: 0.50 for each wrong answer
|Subjects||Total Number of Questions Asked||Total Marks|
|General Intelligence and Logical Reasoning||25||50|
- The questions will be of multiple choices
- Candidates can choose Hindi or English as a medium
- Candidates should qualify Tier I exam to attend tier II
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier II
|Subjects||Total number of questions asked||Total Marks||Negative Marks|
|Paper I Quantitative Ability||100||200||0.50|
|Paper II English Language and Comprehension||200||200||0.25|
|Paper III (Statistics Post statistical investigations)||100||200||0.50|
|Paper IV (Finance, Accounts and Economics Governance)||100||200||0.50|
- Candidates can choose English or Hindi medium
- The questions are of objective types with multiple choices
- One must qualify Tier II to attend Tier III
- Paper I & II are compulsory for category posts
- Paper III is for candidates who apply for the post of the compiler and statistical investigator
- Paper IV is for candidates who apply for the post of Assistant Audit officer
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier III
The Tier III examination is a descriptive paper and pen test while the others are online tests. This test helps to access the written skills of the candidates, which is essential for government jobs. The questions carry 100 marks.
- Duration 60 Minutes
- Tier III examinations are introduced since CGL 2017 to access the written skills of candidates.
- Candidates can choose English or Hindi as a medium
- Candidates has to obtain 33 per cent in Tier-III
- The paper comprises essay writing or passage writing of 250 words and letter or application writing of 150 words
- Candidates can prepare the syllabus of 10+2 standard.
- Marks obtained in Tier I, Tier II will determine the candidate s eligibility to attend Tier III and Tier IV
SSC CGL Exam Pattern for Tier IV
- CPT (Computer Proficiency Test) is for candidates who apply for Assistant Section Officer in CSS post
- DEST (Data Entry Skill Test)is for candidates who apply for Tax assistant post
- The eligibility of DEST speed test is of 8000 key depressions per hour
We have mentioned the complete details of SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2017. Plan your preparations and do well.