Sociology Answer Writing Practice - Week 7 - Question 6
90 Days Sociology Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 19-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
19-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Globalization involves deterritorializaton. Examine with reference to tha nation-state.(2015)
The state is a territorially organized people. A nationality is a group of people who feel their uniqueness and oneness which they are keen to maintain. If this group of people happen to organize themselves on a particular territory and desire independence or are independent they form a nation-state. The members of a state may belong to different nationalities.
Globalization indicates that the world today is more interconnected than before. The term "deterritorialization" in Its most common use, has been in relation to the process of cultural globalization.
Anthony Giddens' has defined globalization as the intensification of worldwide social relations where local happenings are shaped by events occurring many miles away and vice versa. He advocated that in the following area, the sovereign power of the state has reduced:
- Economy: Economies are more open and one significant event in one country affects economies of other countries. Eg- Subprime crisis.
- Transnational Corporation (TNC) are challenging the power of a national state. They spread an ideology of consumerism through mass media and indoctrinate people to consume what they produce.
- The world is moving towards a global culture which reduces the importance of national culture in the nation-state.
- Various international organizations, NGOs, Environmental group affects the way national government operates. For example- Human rights are violations are highlighted on the international stage.
- The sovereignty has been transformed into powerful institutions like WTO, IMF, WB, BRICS and other regional groups.
However, nation-state still holds importance in the following sphere:
- It has territorial control, make rules and laws which apply to various TNCs.
- Sovereignty in the collection of taxes.
- Military power
- Nation-state represents its people in an international arena.
Hence, though globalization has led to deterritorialization up to some extent, nation-state still holds on its affairs which retains its sovereignty.