Salary of An IAS Officer
Indian Administrative Services offers unparalleled opportunities to serve the people of the country. The power and responsibilities that come with the job of an IAS officer cannot be given a monetary tag. However, as an aspirant of IAS, you must know about the salary and perks associated with the job.
IAS Officer's Salary after the implementation of 7th Pay Commission
IAS officers are normally promoted every 4-5 years.
IAS officers get two extra-increment (6%) when they are Level 11, 12 and 13.
After level 14, the salaries of all officers are the same.
IAS Officer's Pay Level for Each Rank
The Pay Levels for each rank are as follows:
- Level 10: (1-4yrs) ASP/SDM/ Asst. Commissioner in IRS
- Level 11: (5-8 yrs) SP/DM/Deputy Commissioner in IRS
- Level 12: (9-12 yrs) SSP/DM (DS in GOS)/Joint Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13: ( 13-16 yrs) SSP/DM (Director in Government of India)/Additional Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13A: (14th yr) DIG (No parallel Scale in IAS or IRS)
- Level 14: (16-24 yrs) IG/Commissioner (IAS/IRS)/JS in GOI
- Level 15: ( 25-30 yrs) ADG/Additional Secretary in GOI/Principal Secretary in State/ Principal Commissioner in IRS
- Level 16: (30-33 yrs) Additional Chief Secretary /DG/Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 17: (34-36 yrs) Chief Secretary/DG/Secretary of GOI/ Principal Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 18: (37+ yrs) Cabinet Secretary to Government of India
Scales of IAS officer's Salary
- Junior Scales (0-4 years)
- Senior Scales (4-9 years)
- Senior Time scale (4 years+)
- Junior Administrative grade (9 years+)
- Selection Grade (13 years+)
- Super Times Scale(16 year+)
- Above Super Time Scale(25 years+)
|Grade||Pay Scale||Grade Pay||Post|
|Junior Scale||50,000-1,50,000||16,500||Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM), SDO or Sub Collector|
|Senior Time Scale||50,000-1,50,001||20,000||District Magistrate (DM), collector, joint secretary of a government ministry|
|Junior Administrative Grade||50,000-1,50,002||23,000||Special secretary or head of various government departments|
|Selection Grade||1,00,000-2,00,000||23,000||Secretary to a ministry|
|Super Time Scale||1,00,000-2,00,000||26,000||Principal Secretary|
|Above Super Time Scale||1,00,000-2,00,000||30,000||varies|
|Apex Scale||2,25,000 (Fixed scale)||NA||Chief Secretary of states, union Secretaries in-charge of various ministries of Govt of India|
|Cabinet Secretary Grade||2,50,000 (Fixed)||NA||Cabinet Secretary of India|
IAS salary structure consists of various Pay Scales: Junior Scale, Senior Scales, Super Time Scale, Above Super Time Scales etc. Each of the pay scales includes different pay bands.
The highest salary structure received by an IAS officer is 2.5 lakhs at the rank of Cabinet secretary.
Those who aspire to be IAS don't give importance to the salary structure as everyone knows the authority and power of an IAS officer are immense and the power must be utilised for the welfare of the nation. So money is secondary among UPSC preparing aspirants.