Public Administration Answer Writing Practice - Week 8 - Question 1
90 Days Public Administration Answer Writing Practice Question 1 for 22-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
22-Jan-2018 - Question 1
Social auditing of flagship programmes of the Central government facilitates the performance of the Comptroller and Auditor General. Elaborate the statement with appropriate examples. (2014)
Social Audit refers to the evolution of a programme by people or beneficiaries who are influenced by the programmes. The social audit provides an external form of accountability, which indirectly results in better efficiency in their functioning. Social audit increases people participation in governance.
Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) is the principal audit body of the county but it is limited by resources and manpower. Social audit facilitates the performance of CAG because:-
- The social audit ensures that work is done and participants have been benefitted and progress towards objectives. While CAG can compliment this by examining the legal aspect of that.
- Like in MGNREGA, the labourers, through the social audit can ensure that they are getting the work and work are being done. CAG can scrutinise whether rules and regulations are followed or not.
- Social audit is done at the lowest level in the village, while CAG can audit at department and official level. In the social audit is done with people participation while CAG audit performed by officials.
Considering the advantage, it would be eventual that the number of programmes should be brought under social audit. Additionally, awareness about social audit should be taken care of, which has been recognised as the most crucial factor in the success fo social audit.