Philosophy Answer Writing Practice - Week 8 - Question 2
90 Days Philosophy Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 22-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
22-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Do you think that evil is a bitter pill which no theist can swallow? Discuss. (2015/15)
The problem of the evil i.e. simultaneous presence of God s benevolence his omnipotence and Evil is a big question posed to theists. Which they try to defend in different ways.
Evil is of two types Moral and Natural, Moral evil is man-made such as robbery, murder etc. while Natural evil is due to nature ex: Earthquake, Tsunami etc.
Theists defend it in two ways such as:
- Instrumentalist viewpoint, where they say that evil is an instrument of god to create a better world, it is like a prophylactic, further it is necessary for the existence and realization of good.
- Free- willists : they say that God has awarded Man with free will so it is his discretion to not to choose the wrong path and try to purify himself so as to make oneself fit for the companionship of the God. Although this path is risky.
The defences are criticised in majorly two ways:
- Freud, call it wish fulfilment hypothesis I.e. to satisfy parental love and see universal justice and subsistence of self even after death.
- Neuroscientists call it the effect of Prophylactic drugs, frontal lobe simulation etc.
So, the defence of evil lies in the realm of faith.