IES Officer Salary
It is important to note that the pay scale or salary structure of Indian engineering services, i.e. IES are as high as other Civil Services. After the 7th Pay Commission, the pay scale and benefits of being a government officer have increased manifold.
Salary of the IES Officer
Salary Structure For Different Posts and Pay Scales
- Before you actually start thinking about applying for this reputed position, it is important to know about the salary structure depending on different posts and promotions.
- There is a difference between salaries before and after the 7th Pay Commission. Earlier, the net in-hand salary was Rs. 42,000 but now the approximate in-hand salary has become Rs. 55, 135.
Details of the IES Officer Salary
|Level||Pay Scale||Grade Pay||Time Frame|
|Junior level||Rs 15,600 Rs 39,100||Rs 5400||On Joining|
|Senior Scale||Rs 15,600 Rs 39,100||Rs 6600||5 6 years of joining|
|Junior Administrative Grade||Rs 15,600 Rs 39,100||Rs 7600||Minimum 10 years after joining|
|Selection grade scale( Chief Engineer L2 / Jt. G M )||Rs 37400 Rs 67000||Rs 8700||20 years or more after joining|
|Super timegrade (Chief Engr. /Additional GM)||Rs 37400 Rs 67000||Rs 8700|
|Cabinet Secretary Grade||Rs 90,000||N/A||Fixed|
|Apex Pay Scale||Rs 80,000||N/A||Fixed|
IES Officer Salary at Entry-Level
Like all other government and private jobs, entry-level salary of an IES officer is different from those who are highly experienced and working on this post for a longer tenure.
- Basic Salary: Rs 15600 Rs 39100
- Grade Pay: Rs 5400
- Net Salary: Rs 21000
- DA (Dearness Allowances): 113% of net salary i.e. 113% of Rs 21000 equals to Rs 23730
- HRA: 30% of Net Salary + DA i.e. 30% of Rs (21000 + 23730) equals to Rs 13419
- Transport Allowance: Rs 6600 (for type 1 cities)
- Gross Salary: Rs 64,749 (Addition of the above)
Various Deductions Included in the IES Salary
Various deductions are included in the IES salary. These deductions are according to the government policy and are applicable to all.
- 10% of Gross for Pension
- NPS Contribution: 10% of Basic + DA
- Central Government employees group insurance scheme: Rs. 325
- Income Tax Functions of investments and savings in different schemes
Various Allowances & Privileges to IES Officers
Apart from salary, an IES officer will also get various allowances and privileges including:
- Residential Quarters or HRA
- Dearness Allowance
- Leave Travel Allowance/ Tour Allowance
- Official Vehicle
- CGHS medical facility
- Provident Fund
- Personal Assistant
- Leave Encashment
- Domestic Servant
Job Profile of an IES Officer
IES or Indian engineering services are the civil services that are appointed so as to accomplish technical and managerial functions for the Indian government.
List of Organizations/Cadres for which the IES Officer is RecruitedThe organizations or cadres where IES officers get recruitment are:
- Central Power Engineering Services
- Indian Telecommunication Service
- Indian Navy Armaments Service
- Border Roads Engineering Service
- Indian Railways Service
- Central Engineering Service for Roads
- Central Water Engineering
- Geological Survey of India
- Indian Ordnance Factory
- Indian Supply Service
- Defence service engineering corps
- Central electrical and mechanical service
- Indian Army Engineering Service
Career Growth of an IES Officer
- The candidate will be selected as an Assistant Executive Engineer or Assistant Director.
- After an experience of 3 to 4 years, the candidate will be promoted to Executive Engineer or Director.
- After 13 years of experience, the candidate will be appointed as a Joint General Manager or Chief Engineer of level 2.
- After 20 years of experience, the candidate will be promoted to the post of Additional General Manager or Chief Engineer.
- After 30 years of experience, the candidate will become a Senior General Manager.
- The final promotion will come after gaining experience of 34 years when the candidate will become a Managing Director or Chairperson of the governmental organization.
- The candidate s selection at each stage of the examination will be subject to the eligibility conditions and hence it is advised to go through the eligibility requirements of IES officer and then apply for the exam.
PSU through GATE
- Candidates can get recruitment in PSU s through the GATE examination. This exam is conducted at the national level and considered as a qualifying criterion to work with the PSU s.
- Nowadays PSU s are using valid GATE scores to offer recruitment to the graduate engineers. Some of the PSU s that use this criterion are BHEL, GAIL, BSNL, DMRC and many more.