IES Officer Salary
It is important to note that the pay scale or salary structure of Indian Engineering Services (IES) is equivalant to other Civil Service professions. After the 7th Pay Commission, the pay scale and benefits of being a government officer have increased manifold.
Salary of the IES Officer
Salary Structure For Different Posts and Pay Scales
- Before you actually start thinking about applying for this reputed position, it is important to know about the salary structure depending on different posts and promotions.
- There is a difference between salaries before and after the 7th Pay Commission. Earlier, the net in-hand salary was Rs. 42,000 but now the approximate in-hand salary has become Rs. 55,135.
|Level||Pay Scale||Grade Pay||Time Frame|
|Junior level||Rs 15,600 - Rs 39,100||Rs 5,400||On Joining|
|Senior level||Rs 15,600 - Rs 39,100||Rs 6,600||5 6 years of joining|
|Junior Administrative Grade||Rs 15,600 - Rs 39,100||Rs 7,600||Minimum 10 years after joining|
|Selection grade scale( Chief Engineer L2 / Jt. G M )||Rs 37,400 - Rs 67,000||Rs 8,700||20 years or more after joining|
|Super timegrade (Chief Engr. /Additional GM)||Rs 37,400 - Rs 67,000||Rs 8,700|
|Cabinet Secretary Grade||Rs 90,000||N/A||Fixed|
|Apex Pay Scale||Rs 80,000||N/A||Fixed|
IES Officer Salary at Entry-Level (Break-up)
- Basic Salary: Rs 15,600- Rs 39,100
- Grade Pay: Rs 5,400
- Net Salary: Rs 21,000
- DA (Dearness Allowances): 113% of net salary i.e. 113% of Rs 21,000 equals to Rs 23,730
- HRA: 30% of Net Salary + DA i.e. 30% of Rs (21,000 + 23,730) equals to Rs 13,419
- Transport Allowance: Rs 6600 (for Type I cities)
- Gross Salary: Rs 64,749 (Addition of the above)
- 10% of Gross for Pension
- NPS Contribution: 10% of Basic + DA
- Central Government employees group insurance scheme: Rs. 325
- Income Tax Functions of investments and savings in different schemes
Allowances & Benefits
- Residential Quarters or HRA
- Dearness Allowance
- Leave Travel Allowance/ Tour Allowance
- Official Vehicle
- CGHS medical facility
- Provident Fund
- Personal Assistant
- Leave Encashment
- Domestic Servant
Job Profile of an IES Officer
IES or Indian engineering services are the civil services that are appointed so as to accomplish technical and managerial functions for the Indian government.
List of Organizations/Cadres for which the IES Officer is Recruited
The organizations or cadres where IES officers get recruitment are:
- Central Power Engineering Service
- Indian Telecommunication Service
- Indian Navy Armaments Service
- Border Roads Engineering Service
- Indian Railways Service
- Central Engineering Service for Roads
- Central Water Engineering
- Geological Survey of India
- Indian Ordnance Factory
- Indian Supply Service
- Defence Service Engineering Corps
- Central Electrical and Mechanical Service
- Indian Army Engineering Service
Career Growth of an IES Officer
- The candidate will be inducted as an Assistant Executive Engineer or Assistant Director.
- After an experience of 3 to 4 years, the candidate will be promoted to Executive Engineer or Director.
- After 13 years of experience, the candidate will be appointed as a Joint General Manager or Chief Engineer (Level II).
- After 20 years of experience, the candidate will be promoted to the post of Additional General Manager or Chief Engineer.
- After 30 years of experience, the candidate will become a Senior General Manager.
- The final promotion will come after gaining experience of 34 years when the candidate will become a Managing Director or Chairperson of the governmental organization.
The selection process of a candidate ateach stage of the examination will be subject to the eligibility conditions that must be met.
PSU through GATE
Candidates can get recruitment in PSUs through the GATE examination. This exam is conducted at the national level and considered as a qualifying criterion to work with the PSUs.Some of the PSU s that use this criterion are BHEL, GAIL, BSNL, DMRC and many more.