IES Eligibility Criteria
Aspirants who wish to take the IES exam, must understand the eligibility criteria thouroughly. The candidate s eligibility will be verified at each and every level of the recruitment procedure by the UPSC. Please find the eligibility criteria listed below:
A. Citizen of India
B. A subject of Nepal
C. A subject of Bhutan
D. A Tibetan Refugee who is permanently staying in India until January 01, 1962
E. Indian origin individual from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India
NOTE - The candidate should have valid documents to prove their eligibility as an Indian national.
- It should be noted that the candidates must not be less than 21 years and not more than 30 years. The upper age or maximum age limit will be relaxed to 35 years for the government servants.
- This relaxation in IES age limit will not be admissible to the probationer appointed against the permanent post in the office during his/her probation period.
- The upper age limit relaxed for up to 5 years for the candidates who belong to SC/ ST and for up to 3 years for the aspirants belonging to the OBC category.
- ECOs/ SSCOs who have finished an initial period of assignment of five years of military services on 1 August 2019 get 5 years relaxation.
- The upper age limit will be relaxed for up to three years in the case of defense services personnel who get disabled during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area.
- All candidates must provide proof in order to enjoying the benefit of age limit relaxation by submitting the valid documents.
- Candidate must hold an engineering degree in civil/mechanical/electrical/electronics and telecommunications from a recognized university or educational institution.
- Candidates who have a degree/diploma in engineering from foreign college/university are also eligible for this exam as per IES eligibility.
- Candidates who have passed graduate membership examination from the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineers (India) can also take this exam.
- Candidates who have cleared Associate Membership Examination of part II and III of the Aeronautical Society of India are also considered as eligible.
- Candidates who are waiting for their results can also apply for this examination but their recruitment would be deemed to be provisional and subject to cancellation if they fail to produce necessary documents within the specific period of time. If they do not submit their certificates then their recruitment will be cancelled even if they have cleared the entire selection procedure.
- The candidates need to undergo medical examination regardless of the fact that he or she has appeared for such examination in the past.
- This medical examination will be conducted in any of the railway hospitals under the Ministry of Railways. The final decision regarding candidate's fitness will be taken by the Railway Medical Board and shall be considered as final.
- List of Zonal Railway hospitals:
- B.A.M. Hospital, Mumbai
- B.R. Singh Hospital, Kolkata
- Central Hospital, Patna
- Central Hospital, Delhi
- Central Hospital, Bhubaneswar
- LNMR Hospital, Gorakhpur
- Central Hospital, Guwahati
- Central Hospital, Jaipur
- Central Hospital, Chennai
- Central Hospital, Secundrabad
- Central Hospital, Kolkata
- Central Hospital, Bilaspur
- Central Hospital, Hubli
- Central Hospital, Jabalpur
- J R H Hospital, Mumbai
To apply for this examination, the candidate must be physically fit as per the physical standards for the admission to IES examination.
Height & Chest Measurement
|Service||Gender||Height||Chest Girth Fully Expanded||Expansion|
|BRES. Gr. A in BorderRoads Organisation||Male||152 cm||84 cm||5 cm|
|Female||150 cm||79 cm||5 cm|
|MES Service Gr. A||Not Required||5 cm|
|Indian Ordnance Factories Service Gr. A||Not Required||5 cm|
|S. No.||Service||Distant Vision||#colspan#||Near Vision||#colspan#|
|Better Eye (Corrected Vision)||Worse Eye||Better Eye (Corrected Vision)||Worse Eye|
|1||Railway Engineering Service(EE, ME, CE & Signal)||6/6 or 6/9||6/12 or 6/9||J/I||J/II|
1. Central Engineering Service, Group-A
2. Central Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Service, Gr. A
3. Central Water Engineering Service Gr A
4. Central Power Engineering Service Gr A &Gr B
5. Central Engineering Service (Roads), Group-A
6. Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr A
7. Indian Telecommunication Service Gr. A , J.T.OGr. B,
8. Assistant Executive Engineer in P&T Building works(Gr. A ) Service
9. Indian Naval Armament Service, Indian Naval Stores Service
10. Indian Ordnance Factories Service Group A. Survey of India Gr A Service,
11. Indian Inspection Service (Asstt. Dir.Grade-I)
|6/6 or 6/9||6/12 or 6/9||J/I||J/I|
1. AEE Gr A in Corpsof EME
2. Military Engineer Service, Gr. A. (IDSE)
3. AEE(QS&C) in Military Engineer Service(MES) Surveyor Cadre
4. BRES Gr. An in Border Roads Organisation
|6/6 or 6/9||6/18 or 6/9||J/I||J/II|
|B. Non Technical|
1. Indian Railway Stores Service
2. Indian Supply Service Gr A
3. Geological Survey of India Engineering Service Gr A
If you meet all the eligibility criteria, then you can proceed to the next step of the online application form. Incomplete or late forms shall not be entertained by the official exam authority under any circumstance. The applicants will have to submit only the single application form only.