History Answer Writing Practice - Week 8 - Question 2
90 Days History Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 22-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded to this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
22-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Describe the important environmental movements which took place in Post - independent India and their causes. ( 10 marks, 150 words )
Some of the important environmental movements in Post-independent India are:-
- Chipko Movement:- A forest conservation movement which began in 1973 in Uttrakhand against uncontrolled commercial logging under the leadership of Chandi Prasad Bhatt and Sundar Lal Bahuguna. It was essentially non-violent and Gandhian in nature which also comes under eco-feminist trend. It was mainly against the illegal commercial logging in the area.
- Appiko Movement:- Similar in nature, scope and cause to the Chipko movement which began in 1983 in Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka under the leadership of Pandurang Hedge.
- Narmada Bachao Andolan:- A social movement against the number of large dams being built across the Narmada river under the leadership of Medha Patkar and Baba Amte in 1985. Their mode of the campaign includes court actions, hunger strikes, rallies and gathering support from notable film and art personalities. This movement was against the inequitable distribution of resources and challenged the dominant model of development.
- Some other important environmental movements include Silent Valley Movement, Jungle Bachao Andolan, Save the Western Ghat, Beej Bachao Andolan, etc ( prepare in details by yourself ).