History Answer Writing Practice 2018 - Week 5 - Question 1
90 Days History Answer Writing Practice Question 1 for 10-Dec-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer
1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page the next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
10-Dec-2018 - Question 1
The period of Indian History from 3rd century BCE to 5th century CE was the epiod of innovation and interaction. How will you react? (2017) (20 Marks, 300 words)
For Question 2 - Click Here
The period of the 3rd century BCE to 5th century CE was the age decline of Mauryas and covers the zenith of Guptas. The period can be termed as the age of innovation and interaction on the following ground:
- Remarkable progress has been witnessed in the field of medical Charak Samhita and Sushruta Samhita were written in this period were dealing in medicine and surgery branch. In metallurgy Mehrauli pillar and Buddha image at Sutanganj indicates excellence. The wootz steel of India was world famous started to manufacture around 1st-century CE. Medicinal property of metals was also discovered during this period. In astronomy, Aryabhatta proposed the heliocentric view of the universe. He also calculated the radius of the earth and the value of pie.
- The art of making sculpture flourished in this period. Three distinct styles of sculpture were evolved viz. Gandhara style, Mathura style, and Amravati. Foreign influence can be seen mostly in the Gandhara style. The depiction of deities in image form started in this period. In Gupta age, all the three schools flourished and a new Sarnath school of sculpture emerged.
- Massive buildings were started to build for royal and religious purposes. Stupa, chaitya, and Viharas were built in large number and temple structures also started to be constructed. The ornamentation of the wall with images and motifs started in this period.
- The foreign contact in this period brought various changes in Indian society. In North-west Parthians, Pahalavas, Shak, and Kushan ruled for a long time. Initially, they were kept out of the Varna system but later ‘Vratyastoma’ sacrifice developed to facilitate entry of foreigner into Brahmanical order.
- The long-distance trade has been started and now people become familiar with the different part of the country as well as foreign people.The ports of south India was Muziris and Arikamedu actively participated in Indo-Roman trade.
- Brahmanism distinctly divided into Vaishnavism and Shaivism. Bhakti form of worship also emerged during this period.
Thus, the period between 3rd century BCE and 5th century CE can be termed as the period of innovation and interaction; although some of the social evils like untouchability, veil system, devadasi system, the custom of Sati have also emerged in this period.