History Answer Writing Practice 2018 - Week 2 - Question 6
90 Days History Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 23-Nov-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer
1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page the next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
23-Nov-2018 - Question 2
"Annexation of Punjab was a part of a broad north-west frontier policy set in motion after the exit of Maharaja Ranjit Singh." (2015)
For Question 1 - Click Here
The North-West frontier was an independent region mainly inhabited by hill tribes. The British colonial government wanted to maintain natural ‘Scientific Frontier’ in the north-west. For this purpose, they first annexed Sindh in 1843. The strong state of Punjab under Ranjit Singh was a major hurdle in the realization of their plan. The death of Ranjit Singh in 1939 gave British an opportunity to bring the entire north-west region under their suzerainty.
- At the beginning of the 19th century when the danger of the attack of Napoleon came into fore, the British colonialist wanted to establish buffer states to protect the British colony in India. They wanted to control the north-west up to Afghanistan.
- To counter the interest of Russia in Central Asia, the British required to control the north-west region.
- To strengthen their position in the region they interfered in internal affairs of Afghanistan and entered into a tripartite treaty with Sikh and Shah Shuja to help him getting the throne of Kabul.
- The death of Ranjit Singh in 1839 led to the development of factions among Sikhs which weakened Punjab.
- After two Anglo-Sikh wars of 1845-46 and 1848-49, British acquired the state of Punjab and brought under the direct control of British rule. From Punjab now British could the affairs of Afghanistan in a better way.
The British were only capable to bring Sindh and Punjab under their control, the ambition of British to extend their territory to Afghanistan received a setback as they got defeated by Afghan army in the battle first in 1839-42 and second in 1878-80.