Haryana Public Service Commission 2020 – Exam Pattern And Syllabus
HPSC Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2020 - Haryana Public Service Commission is conducted to recruit eligible candidates for various posts in Haryana state. It is a combined competitive exam which is conducted by the Government of Haryana for recruitment to the post of Assistant Director, Assistant Engineer & many more. Those aspirants who have applied for the recruitment exam and want to know about HPSC Exam Pattern & Syllabus can find the complete details regarding the pattern, subject, eligibility, etc. on this page below.
HPSC Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2020
The examination is conducted in three stages and the scheme is as follows:
- Preliminary Examination, which comprises two papers of objective types. The exam carries a maximum of 200 marks.
- Main written examination - 600 marks.
- Personality Test – 75 marks.
HPSC Preliminary Examination
|Subject||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|General Studies||100||100||2 hours|
|General Aptitude||100||100||2 hours|
List of 19 optional subjects for prelims:
|Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science||Mathematics|
|Civil Engineering||Political Science and International Relations|
|Commerce and Accountancy||Psychology|
NOTE: There is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for a wrong response.
HPSC Mains Examination
The main written examination is a conventional essay types. It consists of five papers. The duration of each paper is 3 hours. The Candidates will have the option to write to answer the General Knowledge and optional subjects either in English or Hindi. No candidate is allowed to answer the questions partly in English or Hindi.
|Phase of Exam||Name of Subject||Marks||Duration|
|Paper I||English (including English Essay)||100||3 hours|
|Paper II||Hindi (including Hindi Essay) in Devanagari script||100||3 hours|
|Paper III||General Studies||100||3 hours|
|Paper IV & V||Two subjects to be selected from a list of 23 subjects set out below.||150 each||3 hours|
List of 23 optional subjects:
|Political Science and International Relations||Commerce and Accountancy|
|Public Administration||Electrical Engineering|
|Punjabi Literature||English Literature|
|Sanskrit Literature||Hindi Literature ( in Devnagri Script)|
|Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science|
Candidates will not be allowed to offer the following combinations of subjects:
- Political Science and International Relations and Public Administration
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Hindi Literature, English Literature, Sanskrit Literature and Punjabi Literature
- Of the Engineering Subjects such as Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering not more than one subject.
Applications can be filled online by visiting the official website of Haryana Public Service Commission on or before the closing date.
Personality Test /Interview:
Only Candidates who have qualified the written examination and fulfil the eligibility criteria will be called for interview. The interview will contain 75 as maximum marks. The marks obtained in the interview together with the marks obtained in the written exam will be considered for final merit list.
HPSC Syllabus 2020
Prelims and Mains Syllabus
For the general studies paper of both prelims and mains exam, the important aspects of the syllabus include the following:
- Indian history, including the Indian national movement.
- Indian and world geographical studies.
- Indian politics, administrating and constitutional studies.
- Policy making and Indian economy.
- Current affairs.
- Important events at national and global levels
- Science and technology.
- General knowledge and questions based on Haryana’s socio-economic and political scenarios.
For the CSAT paper of prelims, the important aspects of the syllabus include the following:
- General reasoning.
- Logical reasoning and data interpretation.
- Numerical ability.
- Decision making.
- Problem solving.
For the general English paper of the Mains exam, syllabus includes the following:
- Detailed comprehension.
- Precise writing.
- Grammar and vocabulary.
- Language usage in other forms.
For general Hindi paper, the syllabus includes the following aspects. Paper to be written in Devanagari script only.
- Hindi essay and letter writing.
- Hindi grammar.
- Hindi vocabulary and important aspects of the language.
- Hindi language and its connection with Indian culture.
- Paragraph writing and precise writing.
- Translation into other languages etc.
The interview panel consists of members asking candidates on a variety of topics to test and assess their suitability to the position they are applying for. Also, they may be subjected to questions based on their choice of optional subjects. Apart from that, they may be asked questions on current affairs/general knowledge and topics from local culture and political interests.