Geography Answer Writing Practice - Week 8 - Question 1
90 Days Geography Answer Writing Practice Question 1 for 22-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
22-Jan-2018 - Question 1
Point out the ethnic disparities in the N-E India. 2016 (200)
North-East tribes constitute a major part of Indian tribal community. They are all scattered over all the states of North East. Arunachal Pradesh consists of around 25 types of tribes. Nagaland has around more than 16 major tribes. Some examples of prominent tribes are Garo, Khasi, Jaintia, Adi, Nyishi, Angami, Bhutia, Kuki, Rengma, Bodo andDeori. They are scattered throughout the region. Christian-ism is followed by many of the tribes and some also follow Hinduism and Buddhism. The rest still have their indigenous beliefs and practise animism.
Though cultural and ethnic diversity per say are not causes for conflict, but one of the major problem areas is that the Northeast is territorially organized in such a manner that ethnic and cultural specificities were ignored during the process of delineation of state boundaries in the 1950s, giving rise to discontentment and assertion of one s identity. The colonial rulers took nearly a century to annex the entire region, and administered the hills loosely with the result, that large parts of the northeastern hill areas never came in touch with the principle of a central administration before Independence. This resulted in a series of conflict in the region which was given enthno- political colour.
The other important reason is the developmental gaps in the region vis a vis mainland India, due to the neglect of the region by successive governments. This created a scarcity in the region and various tribes come in conflict to grab the maximum share in the pie.
The conflict between the Kukis and Mieties or the Naga Insurgency are all the result of the above reasons.
Government of India took various measures to bring normalcy to the region such as
- Creation of various states like Nagaland, Meghalaya, Manipur to fulfil the political aspirations of the dominant group but the same also fuelled the demand of other states forms another group like Bodos.
- To tame the political aspiration and insecurities of smaller tribes autonomous region under the provision of 6th schedule was created.
- Creation of ASPFA to bring down the insurgency and secessionist tendency among the Tribes.
- Forest Right act to protect the traditional rights of the Tribes on the land and forest resource.