Geography Answer Writing Practice - Week 7 - Question 6
90 Days Geography Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 19-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
19-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Areal differentiation forms the core theme in Geography. Explain. 2016 (150)
The study of areal variation of the human and physical phenomenon as they relate to other spatially proximate and causally linked phenomenon is known as Areal differentiation (AD). The term was coined by Hartshorne in his classical work The Nature of Geography . The Areal differentiation is also known as chorology as it is solely concerned with the unique character of different areas of earth s surface.
Areal differentiation forms the core theme in Geography as the subject matter of geography is the study of the man in relation to its physical environment.
- In settlement geography, we study the nature of settlement in a place and it is intricately linked with the physical environment, A mountainous region has a dispersed kind of settlement whereas a plain area has concentrated settlements.
- The areal differentiation helps to identify the unique solution to the challenges of a particular region and the policymakers design developmental plans accordingly.
- In welfare geography, we identify the developmental gaps in health, education and living standard to address the concern of the population.
The essence variation in regions with respect to human and environment is what we study in Areal differentiation. Thus Areal Differentiation forms the core theme in geography.