Geography Answer Writing Practice - Week 6 - Question 6
90 Days Geography Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 12-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
12-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Describe the salient features of Sagar Mala Project and highlight its role in port-led development of coastal regions in India. 2017 (200)
India has a 7500 Km coastline which has the potential to become the major driver in the economic development of India. So far the potential has not been utilized in an efficient manner and has been restricted to few pockets. Sagarmala project envisaged to make the coastline of India the new growth engine.Salient Features of the Project
- Port Modernization & New Port Development: Removing the existing bottleneck in the efficient management of ports, addition in the existing capacity and development of Greenfield ports.
- Port Connectivity Enhancement: Enhancing the connectivity of the ports to the hinterland, optimizing cost and time of cargo movement through multi-modal logistics solutions including domestic waterways (inland water transport and coastal shipping)
- Port-linked Industrialization: Developing port-proximate industrial clusters and Coastal Economic Zones to reduce logistics cost and time of EXIM and domestic cargo
- Coastal Community Development: Promoting sustainable development of coastal communities through skill development & livelihood generation activities, fisheries development, coastal tourism etc.
- The increased capacity and new port facility will increase the export-import capacity and will create new employment opportunities.
- Improvement in logistics will create a synergy between hinterlands and the port and the hinterland will be able to get economic benefit by efficient evacuation of their industrial or agriculture products.
- The development of waterways and efficient modal mix will decrease the cost of transport and will increase the competitiveness of our goods and services in the international market.
- The project envisages the creation of Coastal economic zones, the Industrial cluster which will have tax incentives, world-class infrastructure and this will lead to the massive creation of capital and employment.
- The project also has an inclusive approach and makes the coastal community an important stakeholder in development. The coastal community will be provided with skills and technology to reap the maximum advantage of the project.
Thus Sagarmala project will make the coastall areas of India as the growth engine of the economy which will spill over to the hinterlands. The only concern is the environmental impact of the project and the chances of increase marine pollution. The project must do a detail environment impact assessment before implementing the projects.