GATE 2018 Syllabus
The exam is usually held on weekends and is clocked as a three-hour exam in MCQ pattern. GATE s level of difficulty is quite high due to the inclusion of various subjects in the exam including quantitative aptitude as well as language skills. The exam incorporates negative marking as well.
Syllabus for Various BranchesHere is a list of exams held under GATE. Click on the links to view the GATE exam syllabus.
- AE: Aerospace Engineering
- AG: Agricultural Engineering
- AR: Architecture and Planning
- BT: Biotechnology
- CE: Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering (CH)
- CS: Computer Sc. and Information Technology
- CY: Chemistry
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
- EE: Electrical Engineering
- Ecology and Evolution (EY)
- Geology and Geophysics (GG)
- Instrumentation Engineering (IN)
- Mathematics (MA)
- ME: Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering (MN)
- Metallurgical Engineering (MT)
- Petroleum Engineering (PE)
- PH: Physics
- Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
- Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF)
- Engineering Sciences Syllabus (XE A)
- Fluid Mechanics (XE B)
- Material Science (XE C)
- Solid Mechanics (XE D)
- Thermodynamics (XE E)
- Polymer Science & Engineering (XE F)
- Food Technology (XE G)
- Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (XE H)
- Chemistry (XL P) - Compulsory section
- XL-Q: Biochemistry
- Botany (XL R)
- Microbiology (XL S)
- Zoology (XL T)
- Food Technology (XL U)
All of the above exams are held in such a manner that the exams test the knowledge of the examinee for the relevant subjects studied in their undergraduate degree. Furthermore, the weightage of the marks will depend the subject chosen.
Complete SyllabusTo understand the pattern of the GATE exams, it is important for the students to understand the GATE exam syllabus. Here are the links:
GATE is the next step for engineering students and will allow the students to study further in their chosen fields once they complete their graduation.
The number of applicants for the GATE exam is high, and only a few students qualify considering the difficulty of the exam. However, regular studies and understanding the concepts rather than mugging them is a good strategy to ace the exam.Here's what the GATE exam pattern is about and the areas you should focus on depending on your strengths and weaknesses:
- The GATE exam is held on weekends.
- The exam is for three hours.
- The paper constitutes 65 multiple choice questions for 100 marks.
- The compulsory section of the question paper will have the following:
- 10 General Aptitude question for 15 marks.
- Compulsory engineering mathematics questions which will be for 15 marks as well.
- Other than this, the exam awards 2 marks for each correct answer and deducts 2/3 of the same for a wrong answer.
- The exam also has Numerical Answer Type which is abbreviated as NAT. There is no negative marking scheme for the NAT answers.
- In case you do not mark an answer, you will be awarded zero marks.
- The MCQS are objective type questions and come with four options to choose from.
- For NAT questions, the answers are not displayed on the screen. The student has to input the answer they have calculated with the help of the keyboard and the mouse.
It must be remembered that GATE exam is a computer-based. The questions are randomly shown up on the screen, and the student will have to select the answers based on the question.
Read about GATE Exam
After qualifying GATE exam, the students can carry on with their studies and colleges in Singapore also accept GATE scores. The syllabus of the paper hardly changes and has a strict pattern.
Looking into previous year papers would be a good choice for aspiring students. Additionally, it will do well to start preparing in advance. The students will have to take care of various subjects and need to perform an in-depth study to be able to answer the objective type of questions.
Other than that, going through past papers will also give you the benefit of understanding the GATE exams, their pattern and your understanding of the subjects. It will also allow you to focus on the areas where you are weak and will help strengthen your strong points. With strong determination, discipline, and a strong will, GATE exam can be cleared.Remember to read the questions twice and think with a calm mind when you answer the questions in the exam.