GATE Previous Year Results
GATE Previous Year Results - Check AIR, Scorecard, and Cut-off for Previous Years
Overview of GATE
GATE is a once in a year examination conducted for the aspirants in the various fields of science, engineering, architecture, and doctorate. GATE score determines the admission of the candidates into postgraduate courses in streams like M.E. and M. Tech. in institutes like IIT, NIIT, CFIT and other top engineering schools as well as to Ph.D. courses. A number of government establishments and PSUs also hire their technical recruits based on their GATE scores. Every year, the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs jointly monitor the whole procedure of the test, starting from the application till the admission.
The examination is a computer-based test via the online module and is divided into 8 sessions. Each of the 23 papers is of 100 marks and consists of 65 questions 85% on the subject itself and the remaining 15% on the general aptitude of the appearing candidate. The candidates are given 3 hours to attempt all the multiple choice and numerical type questions.
Link to GATE 2017 results
GATE 2017 results were out on March 26 and are available on the official GOAPS portal. The results of only those candidates are declared who have secured the qualifying marks for the subject they have appeared for. The results will be valid for further counseling and admission or recruitment procedures, only for three years.
How to check GATE 2017 resultsTo check the previous year s GATE results, the candidates have to follow the below-given steps.
- To check the result, the candidate has to click on the link on the GOAPS portal given above, and he or she will be redirected to the Online Application Processing System site of GATE.
- The page will ask for the enrolment ID or email ID and password for the candidate. If he or she has appeared for GATE, it must have an enrolment ID and password to access the portal.
- The candidate has to provide his or her Date of Birth.
- Finally, the captcha has to be inserted and then only the request to view result will be accepted.
Details on GATE 2017 resultsThe displayed result of GATE 2017 on the website comes with the following details.
- Full name of the appearing candidate
- The registration number of the candidate for GATE 2017
- The subject paper name for which the candidate has sat for the examination along with the subject s code. For example, if the candidate has appeared for Chemistry, then along with the name, the result will also show CY which is the paper code for Chemistry.
- The full marks which are 100 and the marks the candidate has secured for the subject.
- The required qualifying marks for the particular paper. Each discipline has its own cut-off for pass marks.
GATE 2017 scorecard information
As mentioned before, the GATE 2017 scorecard has been released just a day after the results, on March 27. The scorecards are only available online via the GOAPS portal, and no hard copy of the same is issued by the authorities. However, the online scorecards are most certainly downloadable and printable so that the candidates can have a hard copy with them for the purpose of attestation and submission in whichever institutes they take admission.
The downloading of the GATE 2017 scorecards is allowed for two months until May 26, 2017. Every candidate who has cracked the examination by achieving equal or more marks than the qualifying figure in their respective subject will be able to get a scorecard on the GOAPS portal.
In case of failure of download, the candidates get an extension until December 31, 2017, to download a soft copy of their GATE 2017 scorecards on the GOAPS portal. But they have to pay a fine of INR 500 via online payment gateway to access that facility.
Details GATE 2017 scorecard shows
Just like the GATE 2017 results, the scorecards also show certain details about the candidate and the result he or she achieved.
- Full name of the candidate
- The registration number of the candidate for GATE 2017
- Gender of the appearing candidate
- Name and code of the subject paper for which the examination has been taken
- Actual marks obtained by the candidate out of a total of 100
- Normalised marks out of 100
- Number of candidates appearing in the particular paper in the whole country
- All India rank obtained by the candidate in this paper in GATE 2017
- GATE 2017 score of the candidate out of 1000
- The validity of the GATE score (a period of three years)
Calculation of the GATE score
The actual marks obtained by the candidate are normalized with the formulas given below. The formula is different in case of subjects that are conducted in one session and multiple sessions.For the CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers, which are conducted over multiple sessions, the formula is:
For all the rest of the papers which are conducted over a single session, the respective formula is:
Normalisation guidelines for GATE 2017
- The difference in formula is brought due to the fact that the CE, CS, EE, ME and EC papers are the most popular among the GATE subjects and hence a large number of candidates apply for it every year, who cannot be fitted into a single session.
- To take into consideration the difficulty levels of the question in the multiple sessions of these subjects, the formula is changed from that of the single session papers.
- However, it is also assumed while doing the normalization that the number of candidates in each session is more or less same in magnitude and they all share the same range of ability and aptitude needed for GATE examination. This assumption reflects in the fact that the candidate is randomly allotted sessions not following any particular pattern.
GATE 2017 counseling processThe main points the candidates should keep in mind about the GATE 2017 counseling process are:
- There will be no common counseling on a generic level for all the candidates. They must check the interview and admission notices of the respective institutes they want to go to.
- Every IIT institute will have their counseling sessions scheduled separately.
- There will be a Centralised Counselling for M.Tech./M.Arch./M.Plan. Admissions (CCMT) 2017 through which NIT will conduct their admission process as well.
- The interviews for the government establishments and PSUs who consider GATE scores will be announced with their dates, procedure, and cut-offs separately.
GATE 2017 overview
In 2017, GATE was conducted by IIT Roorkee on February 4, 5, 11 and 12 for all the 23 papers at more than 650 test centers across the country. Not only Indians, but citizens of Singapore, Nepal, UAE, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka have also appeared for GATE 2017.
IIT Roorkee released the final draft of GATE 2017 answer keys on February 26 and then released the result after a month on March 26. Before that, the candidates were allowed to challenge the answer keys on March 3 to 6 on the GOAPS portal with the enrolment ID and password.
The GATE 2017 results were followed immediately with the release of scorecards on March 27 and were available for download till May 26, 2017.Brief about previous year s GATE cut-off
The cut-off is announced every year along with the results which represent the minimum marks that a candidate must secure to clear the GATE examination. It is decided after keeping a number of factors in mind like available seats, the difficulty of questions, number of candidates and so on. Based on the decided cut-offs, the merit list for further counseling and admission is prepared.
In GATE 2017, as many as 818,850 candidates appeared. Out of them only 135,392 could crack the test and be considered for admission into the top institutes in the country. The detailed cut-off for GATE 2017 is shown in a tabular form below.
|Papers||Min. Marks (out of 100)||Max Marks (out of 100)||Average Marks||Standard Deviation||No.Of Qualified Candidates|
About previous year s GATE answer key
The GATE answer key link released by the official website has PDF versions of the solutions to the question papers. Candidates can download the provided answers and the question papers and match them with their own answer sheets which were also released on the website.
If the candidates have any objection to any of the questions, they can make themselves heard to the authorities by applying for the same. The dates for challenging are from March 3, 10 AM to March 6, 10 AM between which any candidate could write to the authorities with the subject name and code, the objectionable question and the justification of their contest. For the contest, candidates have to pay a fee of INR 500 which is refunded if the objection is correct along with fixing the mistake in the final draft of the answer key.
About PSU recruitment through GATE 2017
PSUs have their own cut-off scores for being eligible for application. If a candidate has secured the same and is interested, he or she can apply for the job by filling out the application form of the respective PSU on their official website and attend the PI and GD interviews when called.
About GATE 2017 admit card
The admit card for GATE 2017 was released on January 4 which could be accessed with the right enrolment ID and password. Candidates must make it a point to take a colored print out of the admit card and also carry a corresponding ID proof to the test center. International candidates must have passport or government issued photo ID or college/employee card.
Candidate statistics of last 5 yearsAfter evaluating the results from last five years starting from GATE 2016 results and GATE 2016 scorecards, following are the statistics we found.
|Year||Registered||Appeared||Qualified||Appeared (%)||Qualified (%)|