GATE 2018 Eligibility
The GATE 2018 exam was held on 3rd and 4th February and the results were announced on 17th March.
A student will not be allowed to apply for the exam if the student does not fall under the eligibility criteria for the exam. However, it must be noted that the GATE exam eligibility is not be confused with the eligibility criteria of the college or the University. To know about the eligibility criteria of the University or the college, the student or the examinee should check the University s guidelines and eligibility.The GATE 2018 eligibility criteria is only for appearing at the entrance to be held. Here is a list of candidates who are eligible for the entrance:
- All Indian citizens who have completed their bachelor s degree in their chosen field of engineering for at least four years after 10+2 graduation are eligible to appear for GATE exams or are in their final year.
- Master s degree holders in Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Applications or are in their final year are eligible for the entrance exam.
- Candidates who are in their second year or higher in a four-year integrated course are eligible for the entrance exam.
- Candidates who are in their fourth or higher year in the five years integrated course of engineering or technology course can appear for the entrance.
- Students from Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and Nepal are also eligible to apply for the GATE entrance, provided that they are:
- In the final year of their 4-year bachelor s degree course or have completed their Bachelor s degree in engineering or technology.
- Or are in the final year of their Master s degree course or have completed their master s degree course in engineering or technology.
- There is no requirement on the part of percentage for appearing in the GATE entrance exams.
As for the age criteria, GATE does not specify any age limit or provide for a GATE age limit for applying for the entrance, meaning any person can apply for the exam as long as they have a master s or bachelor s degree in engineering or technology.
It must be remembered that no candidate can appear for the exam if they are not eligible for the exam. However, it must be noted that the eligibility for appearing in the exam and for admission in the college or university of your choice is different. Additionally, you must check for your eligibility for the college or University you want to enrol in before you appear for the GATE exams.You will find GATE exam eligibility criteria mentioned below:
- For students in B.E/ B. Tech/ B. Pharm:
- The Qualifying Degree requirements are either four-year completion of the Bachelor s degree after 10+2 Graduation or 3 years after B.Sc./ Diploma in engineering or technology.
- The students can be in their final year of the respective courses. Also, if the students have already graduated, the students will be required to submit a pass certificate or a provisional certificate for course completion.
- If the student is expected to finish the studies after 2018, the student will need to submit a signed certificate from the Principal of the college.
- For students in B. Arch 5-year course
- Can apply for GATE entrance exam if they are in their final year of the course. If the student or the candidate has already finished the course, the student will be required to submit a provisional certificate or the degree certificate of course completion.
- If the student is in the final year of the course, the student will be required to furnish a certificate from the Principal.
- For students in B.Sc.(Research)/ B.S
- The students in the above-mentioned courses will be eligible for the exam if they are or had been enrolled in a 4-year Bachelor s degree program after 10+2 graduation or in a post-degree diploma course.
- The students or candidates will be required to submit their degree course completion certificate or a provisional certificate in case the student has already completed the course.
- If the student is in the final year of the degree program, then the student will be required to submit a certificate from the Principal.
- For students in M.Sc/ M.A/ MCA or equivalent Master s degree program:
- For those who are enrolled in or have completed their respective course in above-mentioned fields are eligible for the GATE entrance if they had been enrolled in Science, Mathematics, Computer Applications or Statistics.
- If the student has already completed the course, then the student will be required to furnish a degree completion certificate or a provisional certificate for the course.
- If the student is still in the final year of the course, the student will require submitting a certificate from the principal.
- M.E/ M. Tech (Post B.Sc.):
- Students who are in their second year or higher can apply for GATE entrance, provided they enrolled in an engineering or technology program.
- The students who are still enrolled in the degree course and have not completed their studies will be required to provide a certificate from the principal.
- If the students have already completed their course, they will be required to submit a provisional certificate or degree certificate of course completion.
- For students in Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech / B.Arch.)
- For those who have completed or are enrolled in the course by MHRD, UPSC, AICTE are also eligible for the exam.
- If the student has already completed the course, the student will be required to submit a degree completion certificate or submit a provisional certificate.
- If the student is in the final year of the course, then the student will be required to submit a certificate from the Principal.
Documents to be uploaded for GATE Exam 2018Here is a list of documents you need to submit for the exam:
- The candidate needs to upload all relevant personal data in the exam form. It must be remembered that the name should be exactly as it appears in the qualifying exam s mark sheet.
- The student s GATE eligibility documents, as prescribed by the form.
- Address for communication including the PIN code.
- The student will be required to provide the name of the college, address, and the PIN code for the college the student has graduated from or is currently studying.
- The student will be required to upload two high-quality photographs as per the requirement of the application form.
- One photograph for the candidate.
- The other for the candidate s signature.
- Scanned copy of the degree/provisional certificate/certificate from the principal needs to be submitted in a PDF format.
- The certificates for Dyslexic Certificate, PwD Certificate or Category (SC/ST) certificate in a PDF format, if applicable.
- A copy of the identification document (Passport/ PAN card/ Voter ID/ Aadhaar-UID/ College ID/ Employee ID/ Driving License).
To know more about the documents that need be submitted, have a look here.
Officials Authorized to Issue SC/ST/PWD Certificates
Candidates belonging to specific categories or belonging to the disability criteria can avail concessions on their fees and other things by going to the various empowered authorities, given below:
- For students falling under the category of Person with Disability (PWD) Category, the students can go to the following authorities:
- The Dyslexia Association of India
- Maharashtra Dyslexia Association
- Madras Dyslexia Association
- Dyslexia Association Of Andhra Pradesh (DAAP)
- Dyslexia Trust of Kolkata
- For candidates who fall under the Schedule Caste & Schedule Tribe, the students can go to the following authorities in India:
- Deputy Collector
- District Magistrate
- Deputy Commissioner
- Additional District Magistrate
- Additional Deputy Commissioner
- City Magistrate
- Extra Assistant Commissioner
- Executive Magistrate
- Taluk Magistrate
- Sub-Divisional Magistrate
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate resides in
- Administrator/Secretary to Administrator/Development Officer for Lakshadweep Islands
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tahsildar
- Presidency Magistrate
- First Class Stipendiary Magistrate
Important DatesHere is a list of important dates, in relation to the GATE 2018 entrance exam:
- The last date for submitting the exam form is October 5th
- The last date for changing examination centres for the exam is 17th November
- Admit card will be available from 5th January
- Examination dates:
- 3rd February
- 4th February
- 10th February
- 11th February
- Results to be declared on 17th March 2018