GATE Cut Off for PSU Recruitment- 2018, 2017, 2016
PSU recruitment is one of the major reasons why students from the fields of science, technology, engineering and architecture appear for the GATE exam. Several PSU organisations in India consider GATE score for their yearly recruitment process.
GATE Cut Off for PSU Recruitment- 2018, 2017, 2016
The PSUs have their own individual cut-offs. The GATE cut offfor PSUs are different than those set by the GATE authorities of the IITs. Based on their own level, the HR department of the PSUs hires their employees.
The PSU jobs through GATE cut off marks are mainly entry-level positions for junior or assistant officials in the engineering and technical departments.
What are PSUs?
The full form of PSU is Public Sector Undertaking. It is an enterprise majority of whose stocks are owned by either the Central Government or the State Government, or both. They can be initially categorised into Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs), State Level Public Enterprises (SLPEs) and Public Sector Banks (PSBs). At least 51% of the shares must be with the union government for an organisation to be a CPSE.
The setting up of PSUs in the Indian economy has its roots in its early development policies post-Independence. The main reasons several sick industries were taken under the wings of the government were to accelerate industrial and economic growth, generate employment and overall income as well as to cater to the equipment needs of other heavy industries and strategically significant sectors.Indian PSUs can be largely categorised into three types:
- Miniratna I and II
The categorisation started in 1997 when nine PSUs were given financial independence, and they were named Navratna PSUs. In 2010, the companies with higher performance and return were provided with a capital limit raise from 1,000 crores to 5,000 crores and given a higher status of Maharatna. The three categories are explained below:
The enterprise which has made an average annual net profit of over Rs 5,000 crores or has an average annual net worth of Rs 10,000 crores, or the average annual turnover is Rs 20,000 crores all in the last three years; then it is eligible for being a Maharatna PSU.
The financial benefit they get is autonomy to decide their investment in a project up to Rs 5,000 crores or 15% of their net worth. NTPC, ONGC, BHEL, SAIL, IOCL are some of the leading Maharatna PSUs of India.
For a PSU to become Navratna, it must first become a Miniratna establishment and then, have at least 4 independent directors on its board. Also, they need to score a minimum of 60 out of 100 based on different parameters which include net profit, net worth, the total cost of production, the total cost of manpower, the total cost of services, Profit before Depreciation, Interest and Taxes etcetera.
Their financial autonomy is that they can invest up to 30% of their net worth in any project throughout the year, but it should not exceed the limit of Rs 1,000 crore. HAL, OIL, NALCO, Power grid, NMDC are some of the prominent Navratna PSUs of India.
Category I: An enterprise has to make a net profit of Rs 30 crores or more in one of the last three years or at least make profit continuously for the last three years. They can invest up to Rs 500 crore or equal to their net worth, whichever is lower. Airport Authority of India (AAI), BSNL, Central Coalfields Limited, Hindustan Copper and Tourism Development Corporation are some of the renowned Miniratna I PSUs.
Category II: The enterprises need to have made profit continuously for the last three years and also maintain a positive net worth. They can invest up to Rs 300 crore or up to 50% of their net worth, whichever is lower. MECON, National Film Development Corporation, Central Mine Planning and Designing Institute, Bharat Pumps and Compressors and Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited are some of the prominent Miniratna II PSUs.
Top 20 PSUs of India
- National Thermal Power Corporation(NTPC)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC)
- Steel Authority of India Limited(SAIL)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited(IOCL)
- Coal India Limited(CIL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited(GAIL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited(BPCL)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Container Corporation of India (CONCOR)
- Engineers India Limited (EIL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)
- National Aluminium Company (NALCO)
- National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC)
- National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation
- Oil India Limited (OIL)
- Power Finance Corporation
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
The process of recruitment in PSUs through GATE scoresGATE candidates have to follow the below-given procedure to get hired for the PSU jobs through GATE cut off marks.
- The candidates must keep an eye out on the PSU official websites for the application form releases. They are released once the GATE applications are closed because the PSUs hiring through GATE need the registration number for their application. The candidates are advised to check the website updates regularly so that they do not miss any application form deadline.
- Read the eligibility criteria besides the GATE cut off, which will be decided once the GATE organising institute releases theirs along with the result. Most PSUs ask for a first-class undergraduate degree to be the minimum requirement for applying.
- Once the GATE results and cut offs are released, the candidates eligible for GATE cut off for PSU will be invited for interviews via mail. The date, time and venue should be mentioned clearly in the mail. If not, the candidates must immediately reply making sure of the same.
- The candidates must be present at the given venue on the given time with all the necessary documents, which includes birth certificate, class X and XII board mark sheets and certificates, graduation course semester mark sheets and the degree certificate if they have received it. Otherwise, the mark sheet and the provisional degree certificate will suffice. The candidate must not be late under any circumstances.
- At the venue, the candidates will be asked to participate in Group Discussions on a given topic as well as called for personal interviews. In both cases, the candidate s body language, how they conduct themselves individually and, in a group, how they put forward their opinions all these will be tested along with the core knowledge about the branch applied for.
- In the GD, the candidates will be given a topic with global or national importance so that everyone can participate in it. It is not necessary that it will be something technical or engineering-related. The recruiters will be noticing what role a candidate plays in the GD and what his /her contributions are.
- In PI, if the interviewers are lenient, they will ask the candidate about their subject of choice and ask questions related to that subject. However, there will be some questions regarding the company and its latest projects as well. The candidates should prepare for such questions beforehand and keep strong and creative answers ready with valuable inputs instead of generic answers. The weight given to each aspect is:
Personal Interview 15% - 30%
Group Discussion 10-15%
- During the interview process, document verification of the candidates will also go on simultaneously or before or after the procedure. The candidates are again reminded to carry every required document with them.
- If the candidate is selected, they will be intimated by the mail and either be given a date for joining or be called for the second round of interview.
GATE 2017 cut off for PSUs
The following ten PSUs are among the leading ones in India which recruit for PSU jobs through GATE cut off marks. Their branch-wise and category-wise cut-offs for the previous year are mentioned in the table to help the candidates get an idea of what to expect this year.
GATE cut off for NPCIL recruitment 2017
|Electronics & Communication (EC)||873||705||562||785||562|
GATE cut off for HAL Recruitment 2017
|Management Trainee (Civil)||62.72 to 79.47|
|Design Trainee||41.38 to 81.09|
|Management Trainee||41.38 to 81.09|
GATE cut off for BHEL Recruitment in 2017
|Cut off for Interview Shortlisting||#colspan#||#colspan#||#colspan#||#colspan#||Cut off for Final Selection||#colspan#||#colspan#||#colspan#|
|50% Relaxation over the cut-off marks accorded to Persons with Disabilities candidates for being invited for interviews.|
GATE cut off for BEML Recruitment 2017
|Discipline||GATE Scores||GATE Marks||All India Rank in GATE 2017|
GATE cut off for GAIL Recruitment 2017
|Name Of The Post||UR||OPC (NCL)||SC||ST||PWD (HH)||PWD (OH)|
|Executive Trainee (Chemical)||144||215||312||744||-||2440|
|Executive Trainee (Mechanical)||70||132||-||2679||41938||-|
|Executive Trainee (Electrical)||75||135||999||1086||-||-|
|Executive Trainee (Instrumentation)||73||96||-||1188||-||-|
|Executive Trainee (Civil)||22||65||-||693||-||-|
|Executive Trainee (Business Information System)||68||117||447||-||-||-|
GATE cut off for NLC Recruitment 2017
|Discipline||Minimum Cut-off Marks of Shortlisted Candidates||#colspan#||#colspan#||#colspan#||#colspan#|
|Electrical - EEE||66.06||62.27||S2.29||49.60||39.30|
|Electrical - ECE||68.54||66.67||55.11||NR||35.18|
|Control & Instrumentation||79.68||70.3S||59.36||NR||NR|
GATE cut off for ONGC Recruitment 2017
|AEE Cementing -Mechanical||810||750||599||No Post||-||-|
|AEE Cementing -Petroleum630||630||583||No Post||No Post||-||-|
|AEE Drilling -Mechanical||814||754||634||559||-||-|
|AEE Instrumentation||781||689||No Post||No Post||254||-|
|AEE Production- Mechanical||831||758||673||605||-||-|
|AEE Drilling- Petroleum||624||519||92||No Post||-||-|
|MM Officer||837||766||563||No Post||235||195|
GATE cut off for Power Grid Recruitment 2017
GATE PSU cut off for WBSEDCL Recruitment 2017
|PWD - HI||47.48||18.23|
GATE cut off for NTPC Recruitment 2017Branch: Electrical Engineering
Category Cut Off Marks All India Rank General 62.84 206 OBC 59.6 380 SC 44.35 3221 ST 48.98 1857 PWD 31.59 10273
Branch: Mechanical Engineering
Category Cut Off Marks All India Rank General 81.02 280 OBC 77.26 638 SC 69.76 2010 ST 62.94 4300 PWD 41.89 17332
Branch: Electronics Engineering
Category Cut Off Marks All India Rank General 65.95 112 OBC 64.52 139 SC 56.08 632 ST 51.28 1279 PWD 45.23 2570
Branch: Instrumentation Engineering
Category Cut Off Marks All India Rank General 72.35 88 OBC 71.01 102 SC 60.01 371 ST 47.02 929 PWD 34.01 1937
Branch: Civil Engineering
Category Cut Off Marks All India Rank General 82.43 42 OBC 75.85 179 SC 64.04 973 ST 66.84 693 PWD 40.11 7855
PSU cut-offs for previous years (2015 and 2016)
In the tables below, the GATE cut off for PSU for the last two years from the previous years are given category-wise and branch-wise. Some of the top PSUs are mentioned, spread across 2015 and 2017, to give the candidates a good idea of what these PSUs demand every year as a cut-off.
GATE cut off for PSU 2015
GATE cut off for PSU 2016
GATE cut off for BBNL Recruitment 2016
GATE cut off for ONGC Recruitment 2016
|Designation||UR||OBC||SC||ST||PwD||Type of Pwd|
|Programming Officer||852||706||No Post||No Post||362||PWD-VH|
|AEE Drilling-Petroleum||562||325||265||No Post||-||-|
|AEE Cementing-Petroleum||642||533||No Post||196||-||-|
|Transport Officer||799||745||571||No Post||443||PWD-HH|
|AEE Instrumentation||798||734||500||No Post||325||PWD-OH|
GATE cut off for BARC OCES/DGFS Recruitment 2016
|Discipline||Cut off GATE Score for Selection to Interviews|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||784|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||623|
|Metallurgical Engineering (MT)||606|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||769|
|Electronics Engineering (EC)||789|
|Computer Science (CS)||745|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||696|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||798|
|Bioscience (XL or BT)||685|
GATE cut off for OIL India Recruitment 2016