Anthropology Answer Writing Practice - Week 7 - Question 6
90 Days Anthropology Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 19-Jan-2018
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
19-Jan-2018 - Question 2
Write a note on Observation (150 words)
The most common method used for getting information about the various things around us, is to observe those things and also the various processes related to those things. Hence, it can be said that observation acts as a fundamental and the basic method of getting information about anything. But it must be kept in mind that observation is not just seeing things but it is carefully watching the things and trying to understand them in depth, in order to get information about them.
Advantages of Observation
- Very direct method for collecting data or information best for the study of human behaviour.
- Data collected is very accurate in nature and also very reliable.
- Improves precision of the research results.
- The problem of depending on respondents is decreased.
- Helps in understanding the verbal response more efficiently.
- By using good and modern gadgets observations can be made continuously and also for a larger duration of time period.
- Observation is less demanding in nature, which makes it less bias in working abilities.
- By observation, one can identify a problem by making an in-depth analysis of the problems.
E.g : Study of trobriand islanders by Malinowski by Participation Observation method helped in the understanding of their Society and Social Institutions.
Disadvantages of Observation
- Problems of the past cannot be studied by means of observation.
- Having no other options one has to depend on the documents available.
- Observations like the controlled observations require some especial instruments or tools for effective working, which are very much costly.
- One cannot study opinions by this means.
- Attitudes cannot be studied with the help of observations.
- Sampling cannot be brought into use.
- Observation involves a lot of time as one has to wait for an event to happen to study that particular event.
- The actual presence of the observer himself Vis a Vis the event to occur is almost unknown, which acts as a major disadvantage of observation.
9.A complete answer to any problem or any issue cannot be obtained by observation alone.