Anthropology Answer Writing Practice - Week 3 - Question 2
90 Days Anthropology Answer Writing Practice Question 2 for 18-Dec-2017
Instructions for Writing Answer1. Write your answers in the comment section.
2. Experts will provide their feedback in reply.
3. Model Answers will be uploaded on this page next day.
4. Rectify your mistakes and progress further.
5. All the Best.
18-Dec-2017 - Question 2
Where do you situate 'live-in relationship' within the institution of marriage? (15Marks 2013)
Model AnswerThe live-in relationship, also known as cohabitation is a consensual arrangement wherein a couple lives together without entering a formal marriage. It need not necessarily involve sexual relations. It may be equivalent to Social Monogamy.
Reasons for live-in
- to test compatibility before marriage
- do not want the hassles of a formal marriage
- see no benefit in the institution of marriage
- not in a position to legally marry
Elderly persons who have lost a partner or got divorced are increasingly preferring a live-in relationship.
In some countries like UK & US, there is a provision for live-in partners to get themselves registered as domestic partners, but this does not make formal divorce necessary.
- Live-in relationship is not illegal but considered socially and morally improper.
- Legally, it is permissible only for unmarried major persons of opposite sex.
- If a live-in relationship is continued for a long time there is a presumption of marriage, and all the laws regarding domestic violence, the legitimacy of children, maintenance rights, inheritance rights are applicable.