2017 JKPSC Prelims Answer Key Paper 1
ANSWER KEY Paper I: JKPSC Prelims Exam 2017 (Set B)
1) In pursuance of the recommendations of the Narasimham Committee, the RBI has framed new guidelines to
(a) To govern entry of new private sector for banks to make the banking sector more competitive
(b) To reduce the freedom given to banks to rationalize their existing branch network
(c) To set up more foreign exchange banks
(d) To lend more easily for industrial
2) Which district has been declared as the Mushroom district of Himachal Pradesh?
3) The Ninth Schedule of the Constitution of India was
(a) Added by the First Amendment
(b) Added by the 24th Amendment
(c) Added by the 42nd Amendment
(d) A part of the original Constitution
Source: Book- M. Lamikanth (Indian Polity)
4) Pepsin, a digestive enzyme that is produced in the
(a) Small intestine
5) Escudo and Lira were the former currencies of
(a) Spain and Germany
(b) Germany and Portugal
(c) Spain and Italy
(d) Portugal and Italy
6) What was Mahatma Gandhi s first action which brought him into the limelight and made him a national hero ?
(a) Satyagraha at Khada
(b) Satyagraha at Champaran
(c) Bonfire of foreign clothes
(d) Noncooperative movement
7) The Communal Award declared by the British led to which covenant?
(a) Gandhi Ambedkar Pact
(b) Jinnah Sikander Pact
(c) Gandhi Irwin pact
(d) Congress Muslim League pact
Source: Brief History of Modern India (Spectrum)
8) The Federal Court of India was remodelled as the Supreme Court of India on 26 January 1950. Who was the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court ?
(a) Patanjali Shastri
9) Who was the first martyr of the freedom movement to be hanged by the British ?
(a) Damodar Hari Chapekar
(b) Khudiram Bose
(c) Prafulla Chaki
(d) Madan Lal Dhingra
10) In which year did the British Government adopt what came to be known as Morley-Minto reforms?
11) Who gave the slogan Do or Die ?
(a) Subhas Chandra Bose
(b) Chandra Shekar Azad
(c) Mahatma Gandhi
(d) Jawharlal Nehru
12) The All India Khilafat Conference was held in November 1919. Where was it held?
13) Who led the Salt Satyagraha Movement after the arrest of Mahatma Gandhi ?
(a) Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan
(b) Abbas Tayyabji
(c) Vinoba Bhave
(d) Sarojini Naidu
14) When did the king of Britain relinquish the title of Emperor of India ?
(a) 14 August 1947
(b) 15 August 1947
(c) 22 June 1948
(d) 26 June 1950
15) When did Gandhi confer the title of Sardar on Vallabhai patel?
(a) During the Civil Disobedience movement (1930-31)
(b) When Patel gave up his practise at the Bar of law
(c) During the Satyagraha at Kheda
(d) After the Satyagraha at Bardoli
16) Who was the first Prime Minister of Bangla Desh ?
(a) Sheikh Mujibur Rehman
(b) Nazrul islam
(c) Tajuddin Ahmed
(d) Mansoor Ali
17) Who formed the Indian National Army (Azad Hind Fauj)?
(a) Subash Chandra Bose
(b) Rash Behari Bose
(c) Chandra Shekhar Azad
(d) Mohan Singh
18) The first Rajadhani Express was introduced in the year 1969. It was the first super fast train in India with a speed of 130 km/hour. What was its route?
(a) New Delhi Bombay VT
(b) New Delhi - Madras
(c) New Delhi - Howrah
(d) New Delhi - Lucknow
19) The Gandhi Irwin pact was ratified by the Congress at its Karachi Session on 29 March 1931. Who Presided over the session?
(a) Vallabhai Patel
(b) Rajendra Prasad
(c) Jawaharlal Nehru
20) In which year was the revolutionary Khudiram Bose hanged for throwing a bomb?
21) Where was the revolutionary, Chandra Shekhar Azad , killed in a shooting encounter with the police in a public park in February 1931 ?
22) Where did Vasco da Gama make his first landing in India ?
23) Who presided over the first Round Table Conference ?
(a) Winston Churchill
(b) Clement Atlee
(c) Ramsay McDonald
(d) Lord Mountabatten
24) The first to have trade relations with India were the
25) In 1942 the Cripps Commission promised to grant
(a) Complete dominion status to India
(b) Self government in India
(c) Provincial government in India
(d) Interim government in India
26) Lord Wellesley greatly extended the British Dominion through
(a) Doctrine of lapse
(b) Subsidiary alliance
(c) Partitioning of India
(d) Annexing princely states
27) The Governor General of India who initiated the Introduction of English in India was
(a) Lord Curzon
(b) Lord Macaulay
(c) Lord Bentinck
(d) Lord Dalhousie
28) Which one of the following leaders belonged to the Extermist wing of the Congress?
(a) Aurobindo Ghosh
(b) Dadabhai Naoroji
(c) GK Gokhale
(d) SN Banerjee
29) Who was called the Grand Old Man of India ?
(a) Dadabhai Naoroji
(b) Jamshedji Tata
(c) Surendranath Banerjee
30) Mahatma Gandhi was profoundly influenced by the writing of
(a) Bernard Shaw
(b) Karl Marx
(d) Leo Tolstoy
31) The stethoscope was invented by
(b) Rene Laennec
(c) Ian Donald
(d) William Einthoven
32) Brass is an alloy of
(a) Copper and tin
(b) Copper and Zinc
(c) Zinc and Aluminum
(d) Copper and iron
33) Who said, A body will remain at rest unless an external force acts on the body?
34) The scientist who first discovered that the earth revolves around the sun was
35) OSTEOLOGY is the study of
36) TRACHOMA is a disease of the
37) The first atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima was
(a) August 6, 1939
(b) August 6,1945
(c) August 9, 1945
(d) August 9, 1939
38) PYORRHOEA is a disease of the
39) Medulla Oblongata is a part of the human
40) OSTEOMALACIA is a disease caused by the shortage of
(a) Vitamin A
(b) Vitamin B
(c) Vitamin C
(d) Vitamin D
41) Oxygen was discovered by
(d) Neils Bohr
42) Numismatics is the study of
43) The boundary line between India and China is called
(a) Macmahon line
(b) Durand line
(c) Radcliffe line
(d) 44th parallel
44) Joule is a unit of
45) Which of the following is not a primary color?
46) The diaphragm assists in
(c) Circulation of blood
(d) Excretion of waste
47) _____ is unwarned and periodic loss of consciousness to nervous disorders.
48) The chemical name of table salt is
(a) Potassium chloride
(b) Sodium chloride
(c) Calcium chloride
(d) Calcium Sulphate
49) Food is cooked quickly in a pressure cooker because
(a) Boiling point of water is decreased
(b) Boiling point of water is increased
(c) It absorbs hear quickly
(d) It retains heat for a long duration
50) Persons in asbestos factories are affected by air pollution. The most affected part of their body is
51) Who remains in office as long as the President wishes ?
(b) Election Commissioner
(c) Judges of Supreme Court
(d) Speaker of the Lok Sabha
52) Abyssinia is the former name of
53) Which one of the following Indian States does not have its own High Court?
(b) Himachal Pradesh
Wrong Question: All mentioned states have high court
54) Which one of the following High Courts has the Territorial Jurisdiction over Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
55) Under which Article of the Constitution of India is the Finance Commission of India constituted ?
Source: M. Lamikanth (Indian Polity)
56) Fiscal policy refers to
(a) Rural credit policy
(b) Exim policy
(c) Fertilizer policy
(d) Union budgetary policy
57) The Preamble of the Indian Constitution was largely influenced by the constitution of
(b) Irish Republic
58) The provisions regarding suspension of fundamental rights of citizens during emergencies were borrowed from
(a) The Constitution of Canada
(b) The Constitution of USA
(c) The Constitution of South Africa
(d) The Weimar Constitution of Germany
59) The final decision whether a bill is a money bill or not rests with
(a) The Public accounts Committee
(b) The Speaker of the Lok Sabha
(c) The Union Finance Minister
(d) The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs
Source: M. Lamikanth (Indian Polity)
60) Pampas are the vast grassy plains of
(a) South America
(b) North America
61) Martin Luther King was assassinated in
62) The Bolshevik Revolution is associated with
63) The slogan of the French Revolution was
(a) One nation, one leader , one flag
(b) Government of, by and for the people
(c) Liberty , equality and fraternity
(d) Workers of the world unite
64) Which of the following is a marsupial ?
65) Both Vardhamana Mahavira and Gautam Buddha preached their doctrines during the reign of
Source: Book: Gautama Buddha: Life & Words by Ann Kannings
66) The last of the 24 Jain Trithankaras was
(a) Parsva Nath
67) Jainism was divided into two sects known as
(a) Ajivika and Nyaya Vaisesika
(b) Svetambara and Digambara
(c) Kapalika and Kalamukha
(d) Mahayana and Hinayana
68) The author of We the people is
(b) Jim Corbett
(c) Nani Palkhivala
69) Which one of the following nations is NOT a member of the Eurasian Economic Union?
70) The monetary unit of Israel is
71) The Fictional character Pickwick was created by
(a) Charles Lamb
(b) William Shakespeare
(c) Charles Dickens
(d) Sydney Porter
72) Who was the Saint of the Gutters ?
(a) Mother Teresa
(b) Florence Nightngale
(c) Bana Amte
(d) MJ Anthony
73) The Parliament of Japan is called
74) Name the cricketer who was called Rawalpindi Express ?
(a) Imran Khan
(b) Waqar Yunus
(c) Shoaib Akhtar
(d) Wasim Akram
75) Which constituency has Mohammed Azharuddin the former cricketer, represented in the Parliament?
76) Who was the first woman in the world to climb Mount Everest ?
(a) Bachendri Pal
(b) Santosh Yadav
(c) Junko Tabei
(d) Florence Griffith
77) What is the Indian Language Spoken mostly in Kerala?
78) Invisible exports means exports of
(b) Prohibited goods
(c) Unrecorded goods
(d) Goods through smuggling
79) In which year were 14 banks nationalized in India?
80) Which of the following is not a function of the Reserve Bank of India ?
(a) Credit Control
(b) Issue of Currency
(c) Formation of monetary policy
(d) Credit creation
81) In November 2016 which of the following were demonitised?
(c) Rs.500 & Rs.1,000
(d) Rs.1,000 and Rs.2,000
82) Kaziranga Wild life sanctuary is in the state of
83) The first explorer to reach the South Pole was
84) A country surrounded by South Africa on all sides is
85) The difference between the time in Britain and India is
(a) 3 hours
(b) 4 hours
(c) 5 hours
(d) 7 hours
86) Which of the following is the biggest of the Japanese islands?
87) Where is the Asiatic Wild ass found?
(b) Rann of Kutch
88) Hari Prasad Chaurasia is a renowned player of
89) Rangaswami Cup is associated with
(c) Table Tennis
90) The Union Minister of Agriculture is
(a) Lalji Tandon
(b) Radha Mohan Singh
(c) Rudy Pratap Singh
(d) Prakash Javadekar
91) Of which country is Recep Tayyip Erdogan the President ?
92) Who was adjudged the best player of EURO 2016 ?
(a) Dimtri Payet
(b) Fernando Santos
(c) Antoine Griezmann
(d) Cristiano Ronaldo
93) The city that will stage Olympics 2020 is
94) In the abbreviation DTAA, the letter D denotes
95) Which IT company was founded by Larry Page and Sergi Brin?
96) The Governor of the Reserve Bank of India is
(a) Raghuram Rajan
(b) Chethan Chauhan
(c) Urjit Patel
(d) Bibek Debroy
97) The Prime Minister of Britain who visited India in November 2016 is
(a) Amber Rudd
(b) Theresa May
(c) Liz Truss
(d) Nicky Morge
98) Who among the following is the CEO of NITIAAYOG ?
(a) Amitabh Kant
(b) Arvind Subramaniam
(c) Arvind Panagariya
(d) Pradeep Baijal
99) The eleventh edition of the Asia-Europe Meeting Summit issued the
(a) Tashkent Declaration
(b) Ulaan baatar Declaration
(c) Bishkev Declaration
(d) Dushanbe Declaration
100) When is the World Tourism Day?
(a) August 29
(b) September 27
(c) October 11
(d) November 6
101) Who amongst the following is the author of The Great Derangement : Climate change and the Unthinkable?
(a) Vikram Seth
(b) Arundathi Roy
(c) Ruskin Bond
(d) Amitav Ghosh
102) Which short film has won the first prize at the 2016 Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival?
(a) Nahna Doot
(c) Chembuku Moodindi
(d) Hum Swachh
103) Whith which sport was Arnold Palmer who passed away in September 2016 associated ?
(c) Car racing
104) If HEAT is encoded as GDZS, how would you encode SMOKE ?
105) If COLD is coded as DPME, how will you code ITALY?
In questions 106 110, two words are given on one side. There is a certain relation between these words. One word is given on the other side of :: and it has the same relation with one of the other words given in the choices as there is between the other two words. Identify the correct word from the given alternatives.
106) Grapes : Wine :: Wheat : ?
107) Breeze : Cyclone :: Drizzle : ?
108) Matricide : Mother :: Regicide : ?
109) Ecstasy : Pleasure :: Rage : ?
110) Insomnia : Lead :: Minamata :: ?
For Questions 111 to 115, read the following paragraph and answer the questions. In a certain family, A is the brother of B but B is not his brother . E is the father of B s mother. A is the son of C who is married to D.F is the brother of C.
111) What is the relationship of E with C?
(b) Father in law
112) What is the relationship of E to B ?
(d) Brother in law
113) How many daughters are there in this family ?
114) What is the relation of F to B?
(d) Sister in law
115) How is F related to D?
(b) Brother in law
116) Oncology is the study of
117) In the abbreviation DGCA , the letter A stands for
118) Ian Fleming created the fictional character
(a) Harry potter
(b) Perry Mason
(c) James Bond
(d) Sherlock Holmes
119) Two leaves is the election symbol of
(c) Shiv Sena
(d) Trinamul Congress
120) With sport is the term Caddie associated with ?